Friday, April 19, 2013

Official Post - Hello! I'm Jenny.

Hi!  My name is Jenny, and I am a junior History Education major at Wartburg.  I am involved in a number of activities on-campus – Symphonic Band, St. Elizabeth’s Chorale, History Club, Phi Alpha Theta, an Ambassador for the Admissions Office, Student Orientation Staff, and Student Center Council.  I also work in the Admissions Office both during the day and as a Spirit Caller.  As you can see, I like to keep busy.
                              
My dad and I shared a love of British films and music, especially those from the 1960s and 1970s, so I have wanted to travel to England my entire life.  When I was growing up, I always said that England is the first place I would travel to outside of the United States.  As an incoming freshman, I never thought about studying abroad while in college.  However, I remember reading about this course and saying that this would be the perfect trip for me.  I am so excited that my dream of going to England will be a reality a week from now!

I am looking forward to so many things, including the following:
-traveling internationally for the first time
-going to London
-walking on a beach for the first time
-seeing a Shakespeare play
-visiting historical sites that are older than those from the colonial period in America
-interacting with local people (and hearing someone speaking Welsh)
-strengthening current friendships and developing new ones
-touring Blenheim Palace, the home of the Churchill family
-attempting to earn as many cultural immersion points as possible with Julia

By taking this course, I hope to gain a better understanding of the history and culture of Great Britain, along with how the Medieval period in England and Wales has affected the two nations today.  I also want to increase my knowledge of the architecture of the various castles and cathedrals we will be visiting.

I am ready to be surrounded by amazing British accents and the opportunities of a lifetime.  To all my friends and family, I promise to take tons of pictures and share them with you once I return.  The next time you hear from me, I will be in the land of The Beatles!

No comments:

Post a Comment