Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Check ya later England (Official Post) Grace

Over the course of the past 26 days I have learned and experienced more than I ever could have imagined.  While I am ready to go home and see my parents, sisters, and mainly cats, I really will miss England.  But before I begin telling you my favorite parts and everything I will miss lets begin with some negatives.  Negative number one. Even though I enjoyed everyone on this trip, we spent A LOT of time together.  And for those of you who have been forced to spend large amounts of time with a small group of people for an extended time period you will understand where I am going with this.  Sometimes I needed a bit of separation from the larger group for the sake of my own sanity and I think everyone else will have felt this at least a few times throughout the trip.  Negative number two.  Smoking.  Everywhere.  I think I may have inhaled at least ten packs of cigarettes through second-hand smoke during my time here.  I can't wait to come back to some clean(er) air.
 
Alright, now that I have my major negatives out of the way lets discuss the positives.  One of my favorite things (and I am sure other ladies on this trip will agree with me) is how nice the men dress.  Suits on Suits on Suits.  We always saw men wearing suits to either go to work or school.  It was adorable to see the small children wearing their little suits to go to school.  And when we rode the train in the morning we always saw large groups of men wearing suits to head to work.  That is going to be something I miss a lot when I go back home and when I go back to Wartburg in the fall.  Boys at school never dress that well.  One of my favorite days we had while in England was fairly recent.  If you have been reading other blogs you will have read that on Sunday we went to Stonehenge and some other sites on a Mad Max Tour.  Our tour guide was fantastic and you could tell he really enjoyed what he was doing.  As part of the tour we went to Lacock Abbey and the surrounding town.  At the abbey and around the town they had done filming for some of the Harry Potter movies and we were able to see the houses and the areas of the abbey they had filmed in.  They had also filmed a BBC series called Cranford in the town as well.  This may make me sound like a super nerd, but I loved Harry Potter and BBC dramas (so the tour and day was basically designed to make people like me happy). 
 
This trip has helped me to learn about and appreciate the world that I live in.  I think every time people are able to leave their comfort zones and are placed into new situations they learn a lot about themselves.  This trip taught me that I still have a great deal to learn when it comes to my knowledge of other cultures.  That's not to say I don't understand or know anything, but there is always more that can be learned.  Overall, I will be taking back with me the memories of a great trip (and many souvenirs and A TON OF PICTURES).   

No comments:

Post a Comment