Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Officially My Last Post- Official Post

Officially my last post!
   Oh how time flies when you are having fun! I can't believe it is my last day in England, it seems like just yesterday we made the long trek in rain and hail to our first hostel in York. One of the first differences that I noticed between Iowa and UK was that hail at home, in my head is associated with really bad thunder storms and here hail seems to be a common occurrence when it rains. The weather in both places is forever changing and temperamental. On a serious note I read about the Oklahoma tornado that destroyed a town and took many lives in the Metro paper and my heart goes out to the families effected by that natural disaster.
   Sometimes while being over here you forget that there are things going on back home, time doesn't just stop because your not there. The fact that the world does not revolve around me has been a lesson that I have learned while being here. There is a constant hustle and bustle as the locals try to get to and from work and school. The transportation, the buses, trains, and subways are very popular in most of the places we have stayed. I mean people still have personal vehicles that they drive and very nice rare ones I might add. I'm not a car person but Erin is and I loved when she would tell me about the expensive ones.
   Money, Money, Money, Money...MONEY! That would be my next topic of choice. It is a good thing that I saved up for this trip. The exchange rate is not that great over here so I felt better spending money knowing that I had work all lined up for this summer. Plus I had to bring home gifts for family. I love giving gifts so that's why my suitcase tonight looks like it is exploding.
   Speaking of exploding that would be my stomach! While being in the UK I may have developed a sugar addiction. Not only are the sweets to die for but the food is amazing. Everything is cover in breading and or bread seemed to be served with most meals. I mean what's a girl suppose to do? Needless to say I will be excessively running when I get home. I think that the reason the young girls here can have a diet like this and still be skinny is because they smoke all the time. I definitely will appreciate the smoke free air at home. I feel like a smoker here because of all the second hand smoke I am breathing here in. I've decided I need to have a funeral for the weight I gained while being here. I'm not mad about it though because I might not get here again so I had to try it all! A common sentence that I learned from Grace was, "I need it."
   Over all I have loved this trip! I have learned so much about who I am and who I want to be. What I'm taking away from this trip are the life lessons I've learned. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all of the castles and cathedrals we toured, and the history I learned about. I've got a lot of work to do. I want to leave an impression on the world and the people who know me when I leave this world. I mean I don't plan on designing a cathedral or castle, but being around all of these structures makes me think about what a person can accomplish. I need to set the  bar higher and push myself to achieve my goals. I don't want to sell myself short. These people we learned about built structures that have lasted thousands of years and its inspiring.
   Lastly I want to thank everyone for following our blog. I hope that we have kept you entertained. I want to thank Erin and Grace for dealing with me for 26 days along with all of the other students and teachers on this trip. I know one thing for sure heading home, we all have great memories that will last us a life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment